María José Martínez Iglesias is a Spanish lawyer. She graduated in law from the Universidad Complutense de Madrid in 1985 and before joining the European Convention Secretariat she worked as:
- parliamentary assistant at the European Parliament (1986-1987);
- Brussels correspondent of the Spanish economic paper "Cinco Días" (1987-1988);
- official at the European Commission (1989-1991);
- official at the European Parliament since 1991;
- administrator at the Committee on Regional Policy (1991-1999);
- administrator at the Committee on Constitutional Affairs (1999-2002) assigned in particular to following the last Intergovernmental Conference and the Treaty of Nice.